The initial vibe I got from this book was so wrong. Years ago, when there was a big buzz surrounding this book (even Gilmore Girls had an episode paying homage!) I imagined it being another self-indulgent Eat Pray Love wine/whine fest and I ran far, far away from it. Until a few weeks ago, when a respected individual at work who is an avid hiker suggested it. I was dubious but decided to give it a try on audio. Turns out, I loved it! It did remind me a bit of Eat Pray Love in that Cheryl makes some really unsound decisions that put her at risk while she is out on the trail. But it is very unlike that other book in that Cheryl, at the time of writing Wild, seems very self-aware and shares her thoughts and the details of the adventure of her hike along the Pacific Crest trail with such unfailing honesty and heart that I could not help but feel engaged by the story. She talks about the death of her mom and how it affected her and how the extended hike, away from civilization with only what she could carry and relying so heavily on just herself, helped her put her broken self back together. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
A fantastic winter folktale, bleak and beautiful The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey Reagan Arthur / Back Bay Books The Snow Child is a beautifully written story inspired by a Russian fairy tale. In a rare moment of playfulness, a childless couple named Jack and Mabel lovingly create a little girl made of snow. The next day, the snow person is gone but Jack and Mabel begin seeing glimpses and finding evidence of a young girl in the woods near their homesteading cabin. Jack and Mabel have come to Alaska in the 1920s with hopes of a new start. They’re barely surviving on the return from their crops, farmed exclusively by Jack, while Mabel makes baked goods for a little extra money. They’re considering admitting defeat and leaving Alaska behind when new connections with others in the area, including the mysterious snow child, give them new hope. The atmospheric differences in the writing between the spare, exhausting, isolated despair of Jack and Mabel at the beginning ...
Comments
Post a Comment